mercredi 23 juin 2010

My Health Insurance Plan


I am unemployed. I was laid off by the bank I worked at right after I got married and became the insurance provider for my wife. For 2 months we didn't have insurance, today we got our cards in the mail.

Here is what 400 dollars a month gets the two of us.

her birth control is a tier 1 drug. never mind the fact that generics exist. she has to pay the full price or up to 50 dollars. Most birth control drugs are on this tier.

I want a vasectomy, under my old plan, this would have cost me about 150 bucks out of pocket. This plan, however, requires that we pay a family deductible of 1500 dollars first. then 10% of what ever is left over. that's right. any trip to the doctor for non emergency visits costs us 1500 out of pocket before they will start covering 90%. This basically insures that we wont be going to any doctor other than the ER or urgent care.

I would get my own insurance since hers sucks, but guess what!?!?! I have broken my right knee, tendentious in my left knee, PTSD, bipolar 1 disorder, I HAD chronic bronchitis before I quit smoking, thalassemia beta (red blood cell disorder), and a family history of cancer.
guess who is UN-insurable????? I AM!!!!!!!

so, thank you to all the republicans who acted like nearsighted mohels with the health care bill (never mind that's what the majority wanted). thank you to all the democrats who let the republicans piss all over your constituency's wishes even though you control both houses and the executive (you won the election, act like it!) and the health insurance companies who rewrote the bill to make them more money!

sure, in the near future everybody will have health care, but it will be because we are forced to buy coverage from companies that do everything they can to insure, not us, but the fact that we will never visit the doctor or buy any drugs. Because after paying 400 a month in premiums to them, we just can't afford the deductible that is the same price I paid when I was uninsured and had pneumonia a few years ago.

I can't afford to go to the doctor so I get insurance so that I can go to the doctor, but because of the price of the insurance I can't afford to go to the doctor.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire